Convening & Facilitating
Conservation is rarely a solitary pursuit. Meetings of small and large groups are often critical to making progress. Successful meetings rely on:
- careful planning,
- clear articulation of goals and processes,
- attentive facilitating and
- prompt follow through.
For 20 years I have been convening groups of different sizes from a range of organizations and disciplines to address a broad range of conservation issues. Examples include:
- Large meetings presenting science to the public (WCS: Osborn Lectures)
- Strategic planning for an organization (Society for Conservation Biology)
- Multi-stakeholder meeting including industry, indigenous groups, government, academia and conservation NGOs (American Bison Society: three meetings)
- The Nature Conservancy’s first ecoregional working group (small group over one year)
- Small inter-organizational meetings focusing on specific conservation topics (Wildlife Conservation Society: White Oak Meetings).
As the Principal at Archipelago I have:
- Organized and co-organized a series of meetings (California, Hawaii, Singapore) on conservation and synthetic biology
- Responsible for assembling a Taskforce and Technical Subgroup for IUCN to develop a global assessment of the interaction between synthetic biology and biology; based on this assessment draft an IUCN policy document for consideration at the 2020 World Conservation Congress (2017-on-going)
- Organized and led a panel for the U.S. National Park Service on invasive animal species; and a subsequent one on prioritizing invasive animal management in the Pacific region.
- Helped organize and run for the US National Park Service both a strategic retreat for their Threatened and Endangered Species Program and a meeting to explore biodiversity discovery in national parks.
- Helped organize and facilitate the 4th annual meeting of the American Bison Society in Montana for the Wildlife Conservation Society.
- Organized and ran an 80 person global meeting bringing together the conservation community and the synthetic biology community in the U.K.
- Helped organize a global meeting on the Global Environment Facility’s portfolio of mainstreaming held in South Africa.